Event Category: Conference
- ProfileSTUDENTS ONLY
About this Event
Earlier this year, the Illinois General Assembly passed HB 1438, legalizing recreational marijuana use and sale in the state for adults. When the new law activates on January 1, 2020, Illinois will be the 11th state to have legal recreational marijuana.
Learn about the various components of this conversation – including how Illinois is preparing for marijuana legalization, the history of drug legalization, the economic repercussions of this policy change, and if there will be expungements of previous records. Professor James A. Leitzel, a senior lecturer and author of “Regulating Vice,” will discuss these new developments with the IOP’s News and Views Committee.
News & Views is a student-led event series on news of the day that provides UChicago students with the opportunity to hear from prominent Chicago-based academic, civic, and media leaders in a meaningful conversation.
In the 2018-2019 school year, News & Views covered topics such as political unrest in Venezuela and trade disputes between the United States and Canada.
- This event is free and open to UChicago students, faculty, staff and the public. If you cannot attend, please cancel your ticket order.
- Registration is required. Tickets are general admission and registration does not guarantee a seat.
- Tickets are non-transferable.
- Doors will open 30 minutes before the event begins. Any unclaimed seats will be released 10 minutes before the event begins.
- If you have any questions regarding the accessibility of this venue, please email Christine Hurley, Director of Production & Special Events, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
No Records Found
Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.
Google Map Not Loaded
Sorry, unable to load Google Maps API.